How To Fix Error Code DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
If you are browsing the internet using Google Chrome, it is possible that you might encounter the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error.
Like any other error, there are several ways you can solve these problems by yourself.
For this purpose, you need to understand what exactly DNS is. Domain Name Servers is responsible for translating the domain name into its corresponding IP address.
When surfing the internet, there are many websites which we open daily. All of these websites have domain names with a corresponding IP address.
It is not humanly possible for numeric IP addresses to be memorized and DNS helps us to do that. The NXDOMAIN means that the Internet Domain name is not able to be resolved by the DNS servers or domain name. It stands for Non-Existent Domain.
This error occurs when DNS fails and is unable to translate. Don’t panic! Usually, the default settings allow the DNS to be installed on your computer’s router.
However, it’s also possible that they are stored in the modem given by your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
There are simple steps that can lead to solving these problems. It is likely that you would not require any expert help because you can perform many of these techniques by yourself. The following are some of the steps you can adopt for solving the error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN:
1. Alter the DNS IP address:
Sometimes, this error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN can simply be rectified if you change the DNS IP address. This can be done by following the steps below:
- Right-click on the Network icon. This icon is placed on the right corner of the taskbar. In case you are connected to a Wi-Fi, it will show a set of bars or a PC icon if it is connected to a LAN cable.
- This will lead to a new window with a lot of options. You just have to select the Adapter settings.
- By clicking on the Change Adapter Setting, a new window will open that will display all the connections on your computer. The connection with which you are getting the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN is where the problem lies.
- Select that connection and then right click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Among these options select Properties.
- A list of the connection’s properties will appear. Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Select the properties from the list of options that will appear. Now a window will be displayed, showing many options. Here you will see the option to assign the custom DNS settings. The following DNS should be filled in that area. This ‘Preferred DNS Server as 22.214.171.124; Alternative DNS Server as 126.96.36.199’ is to be entered in the dialog boxes.
- Now, click on the OK button and continue browsing without any disruption.
“The Domain Name Server (DNS) is the Achilles heel of the Web. The important thing is that it’s managed responsibly.” – Tim Berners-Lee
2. Flushing the DNS:
Because this issue takes place due to the problems with DNS, there is another solution: flushing the DNS.
This process involves the following steps:
- Press the Windows key + R which will lead to a dialog box opening.
- Type CMD in the area and press on the Open up Command Prompt.
- A command prompt window will open but fret not; you do not have to type long commands. Only enter the following text: netsch winsock reset catalog and press enter.
- Reboot your system after this step and open the web page you previously tried to run. You can read more about flushing DNS here if you like.
3. Restarting the DNS Client:
This process involves restarting the DNS which can be done using the following steps:
- Press the Ctrl+R button to open a Run window. This dialog box will open where you will need to type services.msc.
- Then press the Ok button.
- This will lead to a Services Window, scroll down to find DNS Client.
- Right click on the DNS Client option, a drop-down menu will appear.
- Click on the Restart option and now the DNS Client will restart.
4. Resolving theDNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error in Android:
Things work differently in Android phones than your Windows device but they are not complicated for you to resolve yourself. To solve this error in smartphones, the following steps can be followed to resolve this issue.
- Go to Settings and open Wi-Fi.
- Press and hold on the network you are connected to at the moment.
- Click the Modify Network option.
- Go to more advanced options by selecting the “Show advanced options” box.
- Select the Static option that is presented adjacent to the IP settings.
- In the sections of DNS1 and DNS2, type in the DNS IP addresses.
- Click Save and then connect to the network so you can activate the settings.
Video Tutorial: How to Fix “Error Code: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN ” Issue
This popular YouTube tutorial has helped a variety of internet browsers fix this annoying issue:
Pro-tips for the future:
Other than the aforementioned solutions, there are ways you can avoid the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error. What can be better than taking precautionary steps and procedures to avoid being worried about this error and repairing it?
By simply following these steps, you will never have to face the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error altogether:
- You should flush or clear your recycle bin, temp file, prefetch, and %temp% file.
- Also, you should adopt the habit of cleaning your caches, cookies and browsers history.
- It is recommended that you stick to one active internet connection and disable others in that instant.
- You can always try to reinstall Google Chrome if any of these solutions did not work, or if any of the tips to avoid the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error have not worked.
- You can also try to disable the antivirus and firewalls because this software can cause internet connectivity issues. Do this by disabling the antivirus/firewall and then running the web page. If you are successful in removing the error, then you can reinstall the firewall or antivirus.
- If you are using any website filtering software then uninstalling it would likely solve the error you are facing.
- Also, you can resort to power cycling the computer and router. This can be done by unplugging the computer for a few minutes and then, restarting it. You can do the same with the router and then turn it on again.
- Updating the network driver can also contribute to solving the error. You can always download the update from the official website of your product.
. Remember the internet and Google are your friends, most of these solutions should get you where you need to be. In the event that’s not the case, you can always find a wealth of information just by running a simple Google search of your problem.
. Sometimes not having administrative authority on your Windows account can cause several issues. To check if you have administrative authority activated on your account, you can go to Control Panel>User Accounts>Select Your Account> Then Change My Account Type. Here, you should be able to check if your account has administrative authority and if you don’t, you should be able to make that change here.
. Last but not least if all else fails, check in with any of your techy friends that might be knowledgeable about your problem. You don’t know if you don’t ask.
These easy solutions should help you to, within a couple minutes, resolve your DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error.
It is advised that you try to solve issues at home instead of referring to an IT expert. These solutions are simple and the web is a great source for finding solutions to your internet connectivity woes. To read more about similar errors related to DNS, you can visit this website.
Other than that, this is not the single problem that could occur with DNS. Many other issues are faced by users every day but there is no need to panic! A website called the Tech Republic has many easy precautions you can take to solve these issues. Some of these solutions are as follows:
Verifying your network connectivity. Also, you can do this yourself by taking easy steps like logging onto the DNS server and trying to ping a few machines. You should also try to scan for viruses and bugs that could be messing with your computer.
Whatever you think the problem is or the extent of it, there is always a solution present for you to try. Other than the tips mentioned here or the reference websites, you can always try to look for other solutions over the internet. There are always some better techniques you could come across that are not mentioned here.
The trick is to not be afraid of tweaking a few commands, this way you can not only solve your computer error but also help a friend in need!
September 29, 2018
September 28, 2018
September 12, 2018